Director of Business and Finance
Date Posted: 2/9/2018
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Director of Business and Finance
National Speech & Debate Association - West Des Moines, IA 50265
$75,000 - $90,000 a year
The Business and Finance Director oversees all payables and receivables and the annual financial audit, coordinates staff benefits, payroll, and human resource services, prepares and provides oversight for the budget, and analyzes expenditures to evaluate spending and resource allocation now and in the forecasted future.
The Director maintains an extensive knowledge of all aspects of Association membership in order to actively support new and existing members as they develop, run, and participate in programs based on the guidance and regulations established by the Association.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Advises the Executive Director on the financial and operational health of the organization, including risks and opportunities.
- Oversees budget preparation, including monthly budget vs. actual analyses and the development of annual and long-term budgets.
- Prepares monthly and annual income statements and balance sheets with variance analysis; analyzes expenditures by department and makes recommendations regarding resource allocation.
- Supervises Business & Finance Department including accounts payable, billing, and collections.
- Oversees the annual financial audit, working closely with the Executive Director, appointed auditor, and Board Finance Committee.
- Coordinates staff benefits and payroll portions of human resources services.
- Manages and motivates Finance employees through ongoing coaching and support of professional development opportunities to meet the metrics in the strategic plan.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in business, finance, accounting, or related field.
- Five or more years experience in a financial leadership role, preferably in the education or nonprofit membership field.
- Experience managing staff and budget.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, writing, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to strategize and implement plans.
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, successfully manage multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, and deal with change.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Ability to be both strategic and work hands-on.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word 2008 or higher for Mac: Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Willingness to travel.
- Familiarity and/or experience with speech and debate activities.
- Experience with Quickbooks.
- The ability to respect a successful culture and its values, yet earn support and consensus to create new and higher standards for functional performance.
- A leader who builds strong, high performing teams and develops and mentors talent.
- Practical experience as a student or coach with the National Speech & Debate Association.
Vacation : 10 days paid vacation, plus 11 holidays, the full period between December 24 and January 1, and five days in June/July following the National Tournament if required to attend. Other leave is available for specific purposes (sick, parental, bereavement, etc).
Benefits: We cover 99% of the cost of single health insurance for full-time, salaried employees. Please inquire about any other benefits that weigh on this decision.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $75,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year
- Financial Management: 5 years
To apply, please follow this link: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=director+business+and+finance&jk=c65963eb70b76f3a&_ga=2.34719972.434984583.1518105522-193786676.1517525162